My current project at work requires implementing non-trivial data structures and algorithms, and despite my best efforts (unit testing consisting of over 600 assertions), I don't have everything unit tested. In order to find bugs in my code, I've created a randomized tester.
First of all, the code is structured so that all operations are decoupled from the interface, which means that it can be scripted; anything that a user can do from the interface can also be done programmatically. Of course, this is a requirement for any testable code.
I want to make sure that the code is tested in a variety of scenarios, but without having to create the tests manually. So I let the computer generate it (pseudo)randomly. Basically, my test starts with a document (which, for now, is hard-coded). The program then creates a series of random operations to apply to the document: it randomly selects a type of operation, and then randomly generates an operation of that type. It then runs some tests on the resulting document, and checks for errors.
It seems to be working well so far. I've managed to squish some bugs, uncover some logic errors, and, of course, some silly errors too. Of course, the main downside is that I can't be sure that the random tests cover all possible scenarios, but the sheer number of tests that are generated far exceeds what I would be able to reasonably do by hand, and my hand-written tests weren't covering all possible scenarios anyways.
Addendum: I should add that when the randomized tester finds a bug, I try to distill it to a minimal test case and create a new unit test based on the randomized tester result.
LinkedIn RSS feed retirement
Since you are retiring the LinkedIn Network RSS Feed, as of December 19, I will be visiting LinkedIn even less. Removal of the RSS feed makes it less convenient for me to follow my network activity, and as a result, I will not be using LinkedIn as much as I used to.
The jungle gym that we built for the kids is a hit with our little fire fighter.